These Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes are a zesty, delicious birthday treat when you're looking for a change from chocolate and vanilla. Both the cupcake base and velvety frosting have bold lemon flavors, ensuring you have the perfect handheld bite.
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Prep Time: 18 minutes
Total Time: 28 minutes
For the cupcakes:
- 1 1/3 cups Califia Farms Meyer Lemonade
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ cup cane sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ cup poppy seeds
For the frosting:
- 2-3 tablespoons Califia Farms Meyer Lemonade
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup vegan butter, softened at room temperature
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and prep a 12-cupcake pan with liners and cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until combined.
- Add in the Califia Farms Meyer Lemonade, apple cider vinegar, vegetable oil, and lemon zest. Using a rubber spatula, mix together until combined and smooth, where no lumps are visible. Fold in the poppy seeds and be cautious to not over-mix.
- Scoop the batter into each cupcake liner until about 3/4 full, and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for the first 5 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and continue baking for another 14-17 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Once done, turn off oven and keep cupcakes inside with the oven door slightly open for about 2 minutes before taking them out.
- Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
For the buttercream:
- In a large bowl, add the powdered sugar and vegan butter, beating them together using a hand mixer until it looks fluffy. Add in the Califia Farms Meyer Lemonade and mix until the buttercream is creamy and smooth. If buttercream is too runny, add additional powdered sugar 1 tablespoon at a time.. If it feels too thick, add additional lemonade 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Add buttercream to a piping bag and frost the cooled cupcakes. Serve and enjoy!